Saverne Roasted Chicken
- 1 Whole Chicken (3 ½# - 4#)
- 2 carrots, sliced in 1 inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks, sliced in 1 inch pieces
- 1 small onion chopped in 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup Saverne Sauerkraut (any flavor would work)
- ¼ cup Saverne Sauerkraut Brine
- 2 TBS butter, softened (link Sauerkraut Butter recipe, respective to Saverne flavor)
- 6 sprigs thyme
- ¼ cup parsley, coarsely chopped
- Kosher Salt
- Black pepper
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 tsp corn starch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- In a medium bowl, toss together, carrot, celery, onion, parsley, thyme, and sauerkraut
- Working on a cutting board, pat dry chicken and season inside cavity liberally with salt and pepper, stuff loosely with vegetable mixture.
- Pour remaining vegetable mixture onto small cooking tray (9 ½ “x13”)
- Rub chicken with softened butter and season with salt and pepper, place on top of vegetables on cooking tray
- Bake for 30 minutes on center rack
- Reduce oven to 350 degrees and cook for 1 hour or until it reaches 165 degrees, when thermometer is inserted between the breast and thigh bone.
- Remove from oven
- Place chicken on clean cutting board and rest for 15 minutes, cut and serve with sauce.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, add vegetables from under chicken and any juices. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil
- Mix cornstarch with ¼ cup brine and add to pot, bring to a boil, and cook for 2 minutes. Strain into serving bowl and season with salt and pepper.