Saverne Potato Gratin
- 2 cups cream
- 3# russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, freshly grated on small hole of grater or use microplane
- 1 cup Saverne Sauerkraut drained well (any flavor would work well)
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Butter a 7”x11” baking dish
- Mix salt and pepper together in small bowl
- Using a mandolin, slice peeled potatoes 1/8” thin (this can be done layer by layer to ensure there is no browning)
- 1st layer- Place potatoes on bottom of dish slightly overlapping, in one thin layer, sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and ½ cup cheese
- 2nd layer- top cheese with another thin layer of potatoes, slightly overlapping, top with 1/3 cup sauerkraut
- 3rd layer- place potatoes on top of sauerkraut, slightly overlapping, sprinkle with salt and pepper and ½ cup cheese
- 4th layer- top cheese with another thin layer of potatoes, slightly overlapping, top with 1/3 cup sauerkraut
- 5th layer- place potatoes on top of sauerkraut slightly overlapping sprinkle with salt and pepper. Slowly pour heavy cream to just cover top layer of potatoes, top with remaining 1/3 cup sauerkraut and 1 cup gruyere.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour, remove foil and bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is browned and potatoes in the middle are soft. (use a knife to test, should give very little resistance)
- Remove from oven and let stand 10-15 minutes, serve warm.