Saverne French Onion Soup
- 3 TBS Butter
- 3# Onions peeled and thinly sliced (use a mixture to achieve best flavor)
- ½ tsp Kosher Salt
- 8 Cups Beef Stock
- 1 cup Dry White Wine
- 2 TBS Sherry
- 2 TBS Flour
- 1 cup Saverne Black Pepper & Lemon or Classic Sauerkraut
- 1 TBS soy sauce
- 1 Baguette (sliced ½ inch thick 12 slices)
- 6 slices Swiss Cheese
- ½ cup grated Gruyere Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Directions for Soup
- Melt butter in heavy Dutch oven overmedium heat. Add onions and ½ tsp salt,stir to combine. Cover and let onionssoften for 4-6 minutes
- Remove lid and let onions caramelizeover medium low heat, stirring occasionally. Adjust heat as needed if onions are browning too quickly, this shouldtake 45-75 minutes. Additionally, ifonions begin to stick add ½ cup water and stir to combine.
- Once onions are caramelized, addflour. Stir to combine and cook for 3minutes.
- Add wine and cook until reduced by half,add beef stock, and bring to simmer.
- Simmer over medium low heat for 30-45minutes until liquid is reduced by 1/3.
- Add sauerkraut, soy sauce and cook for10 more minutes
- Add sherry and adjust seasoning
- Ladel soup into oven safe crocks orbowls placed on a baking sheet, float 2 croutons on soup then place a slice ofcheese on top of crouton and sprinkle with 1 TBS gruyere cheese. Broil soupunder the broiler on low until cheese is golden and melted. Serve immediately
Directions for Croutons
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Brush sliced baguette with olive oil and bake for 12-18 minutes, until crisp. Remove from oven and cool