- 1 ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 TBS + 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 TBS sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 cup Saverne French Dill Sauerkraut drained
- 4oz cream cheese, cold, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 2 TBS chopped fresh dill
- Flaky sea salt for sprinkling tops
- Preheat oven to 425, line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, gently whisk egg and 1 cup of cream
- In large bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar add butter and work quickly to break up butter with pastry blender until butter is the size of peas.
- Add sauerkraut, cream cheese and dill, and toss to coat in flour mixture and distribute evenly
- Pour cream mixture into the dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to mix until you no longer see pools of liquid.
- Once mixed, using your hands, mix the dough until all the flour is absorbed and it is a cohesive mass (use large kneading folds to ensure best incorporation)
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, form into an 8inch circle and cut into 8 pieces.
- Transfer scones to parchment lined baking sheet, leaving 2 inches space between scones. Brush with remaining cream and sprinkle with flakey salt.
- Bake for 18-25 minutes, until scones are evenly brown and doubled in size, serve warm with butter!
- Once cut, place on parchment lined baking sheet and freeze for 4 hours then place in plastic bag or wrap individually with plastic wrap.
- To bake, preheat oven to 400, and bake for 25-35 minutes